Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Young Leaders/AFL visit

On Monday I attended a National Young Leaders Conference with the Junior School Council Members in Grade 5/6. There are two representatives for each grade (one boy and one girl) who represent their class and meet bi-weekly to discuss school issues, improvements to be made, and ways to get involved in the community. I was very excited and curious to see how the conference would be organized because Lauren told me there would be about 5,000 students attending. I am so thankful for the opportunity to attend, and below I have included some of the notes I took during the conference. Each speaker was to share their life experiences in regards to leadership. Some speakers used their own life to make their point to the students, while others reflected on the lives of other people.

Premier John Brumby

  • Thanked the Warundjari people for their land
  • Leaders are "Ordinary people doing extraordinary things"
  • Sound Relief Concert was the biggest benefit concert (in music industry) in the Southern Hemisphere
  • The Government schools in Victoria have raised over 925 thousand dollars towards the bush fires
  • Leadership = having a vision, taking action, making a difference, and working together
  • "Perseverance" --> If you want to do something, don't ever give up

Kirsty Murray

  • Have integrity- tell the truth
  • Take time to reflect on your life and who you want to be
  • "Readers are leaders"

Drew Ginn- 3-time Australian Gold Medalist in Rowing

  • Do your passion to the best of your ability no matter what the outcome is
  • Put "it" out there and it will come back to you (threw the Frisbee out in the crowd)
  • Take a challenge to improve yourself; you have to start somewhere

Mike Martin- General Manager of the Halogen Foundation

  • GREAT leadership= influence and responsibility
  • "When leaders fail, life really starts to stink."
  • Jack Sim- World Toilet Organization (informs people of adequate toilet systems worldwide and is working to minimize deaths from inadequate systems) Also shared that Nov. 19th is World Toilet Day
  • Use influence to help others- Things go bad when you start to think about only your life and forget what others need
  • Talked about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., and Obama: He explained that even when the odds are against you, your voice can be heard and people will support you. It is about giving yourself a chance and believing that you CAN accomplish your goals

Catriona Rowntree- Host for travel show, Getaway

10 things she wishes she would have known in Grade 5/6:

  • Be careful who you listen to (choose the positive)
  • If possible, make your passion your profession
  • Push what is unique about yourself- don't waste time being what your not
  • You will most likely not marry the person you are in love with RIGHT NOW
  • It's okay if you can't do Maths
  • The friends you have now are likely to be your friends forever
  • LIVE IN THE MOMENT!
  • Feel the fear and DO IT anyway
  • Remember your karma- how you treat people is what you will get back
  • Persistence leads to victory

Each speaker really made me think about how I approach my life on a daily basis. It made me think about how I can change the view (to be more positive) I have of myself as a leader, as well as the leaders around me. The speakers all had very positive messages. One of the most surprising aspects of the day was listening to the many references that were made to life/leaders in America. I think there are many leaders and people who have succeeded against the odds right here in Australia, but instead the speakers chose Americans.

Another highlight of my week was a visit from 5 AFL players from Carlton. The school has players come visit every year and talk about their experiences both on and off the field. However, this year was extremely special because the number 2 rated player in the league came to speak. Usually the kids do not recognize most of the players who come to speak or the players have only played one or two games in their career. It was great to see the kids react to a professional athlete being in the school and also listen to the questions they had for the players.

I was able to get a photo with all the players as well, but my computer has crashed so I am not sure when I will be able to post photos again on the blog. I am doing my best to keep up with blogging and lesson preparation without my computer. It is hard to believe that things were done with little to no computer access only a short time ago! I will look at this as another surprising/memorable moment in my experience here in Australia.

No comments: